Teen gunman arrested after Georgia high school shooting, one suspect still at large

UNION CITY, GA— Scott Foor, 17, of Powder Springs, Georgia was arrested by officers with the Cobb County Police Department (CCPD) in Union City and charged with aggravated assault and possessing a gun on school property. This, after a Thursday afternoon shooting at nearby McEachern High School which left two people injured.

According to Northwest Georgia News, Foor was located by CCPD at 11:45 p.m. Thursday night and is now being held without bond. The account of his attack on McEachern High School details that CCPD, along with officers from several other jurisdictions, responded to reports of a shooting at the High School shortly after 2:00 p.m.

The arriving officers found two people with non-life threatening gunshot wounds. Police said that the victims were not students but had engaged in an altercation with a student. 

Reportedly, Foor witnessed the fight and intervened, shooting both victims. Another unknown suspect, still at large, produced another firearm and also opened fire, but no other injuries were reported.

Potential footage of the shooting was shared on X by Channel 3 Now showing approximately a dozen students who may have witnessed or participated in the initial altercation.

According to reports from 11Alive, an officer reported to dispatch that the two victims had tourniquets applied at the scene, "one to his leg, one to his arm, another one applied to a left leg."  

Cobb Police Deputy Chief Dan Ferrell told reporters during a Friday press conference, per Northwest Georgia News, "There was at least one student there. I have no idea how many others. From the investigation that we have now, this is a very specific, targeted incident. It’s not a very broad incident where we believe other students just in general populations would be in any type of danger.”

Cobb Police Chief Stuart VanHoozer told reporters that the department feels confident that the students at McEachern High School are safe and noted there will be an increased police presence at the school. 

“It’s scary for these young people to go back to school today. It’s scary for the parents to send them back to school today,” VanHoozer observed. “We feel confident that, especially with the response yesterday, that we have provided a safe environment for our children to learn.”

At least one 16-year-old student went missing for several hours after the shooting but was found safe after midnight. The community had reportedly been searching for him after news of him being missing was posted to NextDoor and other social media platforms, according to 11Alive. The boy apparently became disoriented and lost after he fled the shooting. An area woman found him and helped him back, unharmed, to his relieved parents.

As of this report, the second suspect remains at large and CCPD is asking for public assistance. The authorities said anyone with information regarding the shooting should contact them at 770-499-4111.
For corrections or revisions, click here.
The opinions reflected in this article are not necessarily the opinions of LET
Sign in to comment


Powered by StructureCMS™ Comments

Get latest news delivered daily!

We will send you breaking news right to your inbox

© 2024 Law Enforcement Today, Privacy Policy