Stolen semi-truck rams Sheriff's vehicles leading to massive standoff

VANCOUVER, WA - A standoff with law enforcement on the I-205 that closed the entire interstate ended with a suspect in custody Monday after a dramatic chase involving a stolen semi-truck barreling from Portland, Oregon to Vancouver, Washington. The man and woman in the Semi barricaded themselves inside the vehicle for forty minutes after Sheriff's deputies disabled the vehicle using spike sticks.

According to KGW, the drama began at approximately 9:00 a.m. when Knight Transportation tracked its stolen semi-truck to Fairview and contacted law enforcement to recover the vehicle.

Multnomah County Deputies reportedly followed the vehicle to Blue Lake Regional Park where they attempted to block its escape with two patrol units. The maneuver appeared successful at first until the semi, driven by Jesus “Jessie” Meza-Sanchez,39, proceeded to ram both Sheriff's Department vehicles and make an escape.

John Plock, MCSO public information officer, told the outlet, "When the driver wanted out of our box that we had, the truck was plenty big enough to push our vehicles out of the way."

In a statement, the Sheriff's office explained that "the driver rammed a patrol vehicle, forcibly pushing the vehicle backward into another patrol vehicle." One of the responding deputies was injured during the collision, officials said.

The pursuit began and deputies deployed spike sticks at several locations to deflate the vehicle's tires. As the semi-cab continued driving on shredded tires at speeds of 50-65mph the chase moved from I-84 to I-205 until crossing the Glenn Jackson Memorial Bridge when the truck slowed to a stop at about 10:15 a.m.

When Meza-Sanchez failed to comply with orders to exit the vehicle the Washington State Patrol, Vancouver Police, and the Clark County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene and closed the I-205 in both directions.

After a 40-minute standoff, the suspect surrendered to authorities, an unidentified woman in the truck with him wasn't charged with a crime and was released. Meza-Sanchez was arrested and charged with assault, elude, criminal mischief, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, and possession of a stolen motor vehicle according to the MCSO. 

The Deputy Meza-Sanchez struck during his escape sustained minor injuries and was transported to an area hospital.
For corrections or revisions, click here.
The opinions reflected in this article are not necessarily the opinions of LET
Sign in to comment


Powered by LET CMS™ Comments

Get latest news delivered daily!

We will send you breaking news right to your inbox

© 2024 Law Enforcement Today, Privacy Policy