We just lost three more officers. Let’s make sure their faces and stories are not forgotten.

remember by Matt Botsford is licensed under Unsplash unsplash.com
Sadly, we have lost three more officers over the last week. Three separate departments, three separate lives. All valued, all gone too soon. WASHINGTON, DC- A police sergeant passed away suddenly from a medical emergency. Sergeant Donna Allen, 49 years old, finished her midnight shift in the 3rd District. She was taken to a hospital, where she was unfortunately pronounced dead. Her death was not believed to be related to COVID-19, and she had served in law enforcement over 30 years.

Chief Peter Newsham said in a statement: "Sergeant Allen's unexpected passing brings the MPD family great sadness. Her friendship and good nature will be missed by many. I offer my deepest, most heartfelt condolences to Sergeant Allen's family and friends at this time." Sergeant Allen was the second DC sergeant unexpected death in less than a week. Following the two deaths, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser said: “This week, we tragically lost two of our officers, Sergeant Mark Eckenrode and Sergeant Donna Allen, while serving in the line of duty.

These dedicated first responders were both decades-long veterans of the force, devoting their lives to keeping our residents safe. Our deepest condolences go to their loved ones and our entire MPD family. We are reminded every day of the tremendous sacrifices of our police officers during these challenging times as they protect our safety.” BREMERTON, WA

- Bainbridge Police Officer Kurt Enget died last Friday after being hospitalized for nearly a week for symptoms consistent with COVID-19. Results of his test have not been confirmed and he is set to undergo an autopsy by the Kitsap County Coroner's Office. Sunday, April 5, Officer Enget was admitted to Harrison Medical Center. He remained stable until he quickly deteriorated.  Officer Enget, 49 years old, was with the Bainbridge Island Police Department since 2005. Last year he became the department's K9 officer, working with a new tracking bloodhound named Whitney.

Bainbridge Island City Manager Morgan Smith said: "Unfortunately, Officer Enget’s condition worsened rapidly. It was something that while he had been ill for a while, his hospitalization and deterioration occurred quite quickly. This loss is another reminder of the danger of COVID-19 and the devastating impacts to our city, our region and the entire world. Numbers that we're hearing every day are more than statistics. Each one represents a friend, a family member, a neighbor or a colleague. For each death reported, there's a personal story. And now for Bainbridge Island, the story of what is happening across the world is also our own story, of sadness and grief."

Just as a reminder, Officer Enget has not been confirmed to have been infected with COVID-19, but his symptoms were consistent with the virus. Interim Police Chief Scott Weiss said: "There's no real way to soft-pedal it. Everybody's hurting. All the officers are having to deal with the loss of a friend and a family member. Everybody's processing that, each in their own way." Weiss also said that Friday morning, officers had about an hour's notice that Officer Enget's body would be transported to the coroner's office. In that short amount of time, officers from 50-60 different local agencies were able to show up to honor the officer in a procession.

Weiss said: "The word spread quickly. People knew Kurt and they came to pay their respects. I think that says a lot." In a statement, Weiss also said: “Kurt was a very important member of our team, known by so many in our community, including those at the dog park where he often brought K-9 Whitney. “He was a friendly and caring officer who embodied what it means to be a member of the Bainbridge Island Police Department. He was an irreplaceable colleague, dedicated to service to the entire community, and we will miss him greatly.” Officer Enget was set to undergo an autopsy today.

MISSOULA, MT- A 32-year old police officer was found in his home on Saturday dead from apparent suicide. Lake County Sheriff's Deputy Ross Holcomb was with the sheriff's office since 2017 and is also a combat veteran with the United States Marines.  Lake County Sheriff Don Bell said: “It is with great sadness that I report that one of our Lake County Sheriff’s Deputies, Ross Holcomb, 32, of Ronan, was found deceased in his home. Preliminary investigation suggests the death to be suicide.”

Deputy Holcomb leaves behind a nine-year old daughter. Helen Bushby Tyree is Deputy Holcomb's mother. She was overwhelmed by the support shown to her and her late son during a procession from Missoula to Ronan.  In a Facebook post, she said: "Yesterday morning I woke with the first concern of bringing Ross home from Missoula. The outpouring of community love and support was overwhelming and somehow painfully beautiful. I didn't know this was going to be happening until Ross's dad and I were invited to escort Ross back home.

I am forever greatful [sic] for being able to see and meet people who love and respect my son. In this time that I often can barely breathe, seeing people along the route in their cars and standing at attention as Ross passed by took my breath away. I am so greatful [sic] to the community that knew this very special man that I'm blessed to know as my son and who took time to express their grief and respect. Healing is going to be a very very long road but yesterday gave me hope that it may be out there." None of these losses are easy to swallow. Please keep all of these officers, their families, and their departments and communities in your prayers.
For corrections or revisions, click here.
The opinions reflected in this article are not necessarily the opinions of LET
Sign in to comment


Powered by StructureCMS™ Comments

Get latest news delivered daily!

We will send you breaking news right to your inbox

© 2023 Law Enforcement Today, Privacy Policy