Detroit police officer dies after being shot in the head and fighting for his life. He was a proud dad of three. His life mattered.

Hospital by Brandon Holmes is licensed under Unsplash
DETROIT, MI.- Law enforcement lost another hero late last month. Officer Waldis “Jay” Johnson succumbed to injuries on May 31, 2020 sustained in April 2017 when he was shot in the head while responding to a domestic violence call in Detroit. The department’s Facebook page announced Officer Johnson’s passing.   

“We are truly saddened by the loss of our brother in blue,” the post said. “He will be forever missed and never forgotten. #gonebutneverforgotten #backtheblue.”

A fundraiser has been set up for the family through the Officer Collin Rose Memorial foundation. The Collin Rose Foundation is a non-profit that works to honor fallen officers. “Officer Johnson wore badge 2591 and we’re hoping to raise that amount for his family,” the charity announced.

As of June 28, the charity had far exceeded that goal, raising $3,846.  A 14-year veteran of the Detroit Police Department at the time, Officer Johnson was shot on April 30, 2017 when he and his partner responded to a call at the Oakman Apartments in the city, located on the west side. They had been dispatched to that location on the report of a domestic disturbance.

According to the Officer Down Memorial Page, Johnson and his partner had approached a common front door to the apartment complex, which was locked. After a few minutes, a man who was unrelated to the call for service came downstairs. Johnson was immediately met by a tenant with a gun, who pointed it at Johnson. A struggle ensured for control of the firearm.

Johnson let go momentarily to get control of his gun, and both fired at the same time. Two bullets struck the suspect from Johnson’s gun; however, Johnson was shot once in the head. Johnson’s partner, Officer Darren Weathers fired back, killing the suspect, James Edward Ray, 46. Johnson suffered a traumatic brain injury and remained in rehab until his death.

He is survived by his wife, daughter and two sons. Sadly, Officer Weathers was killed in 2018 in a car crash that occurred during a training exercise. Weathers was only 25 at that time and had only been on the department for less than two years. Weathers was a U.S. military veteran. He is survived by a wife and daughter. RIP Brothers. Until Valhalla.
For corrections or revisions, click here.
The opinions reflected in this article are not necessarily the opinions of LET
Sign in to comment


Powered by LET CMS™ Comments

Get latest news delivered daily!

We will send you breaking news right to your inbox

© 2024 Law Enforcement Today, Privacy Policy