AUSTIN, TX - The teenage suspect accused of a random shooting spree across Austin has been identified by authorities as an illegal immigrant, according to prosecutors.
The alleged suspect, 17-year-old Cristian Mondragon-Fajardo, is one of three suspects who allegedly carried out 12 separate shootings across the city over the weekend, leaving three people injured and another victim in critical condition, the New York Post reported. The two other suspects, ages 15 and 16, have not been publicly identified due to their age.
On Tuesday, May 19, Mondragon-Fajardo made a court appearance where prosecutors disclosed that an ICE detainer had been issued following his arrest on Sunday, May 17. "The ICE detainer does add an extra component to his process,” Criminal Defense & Immigration Attorney Robert Jimenez said.
The crime spree targeted the city's first responders, with gunfire striking two Austin Fire Department stations and three fire trucks. Authorities said additional incidents included gunfire damage to five vehicles and four homes, as well as theft of a firearm and five cars.
Mondragon-Fajardo was charged with six felonies, including two counts of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, two counts of aggravated assault with a motor vehicle, firearm theft, and evading arrest in a motor vehicle. He is being held without bond, with prosecutors arguing he poses a danger to the community and could face deportation if released.
With the ICE detainer in place, immigration agents have requested that local law enforcement notify ICE before releasing the suspect and hold him for up to 48 business hours, allowing federal authorities to assume custody for potential deportation proceedings.
The detainer, however, does not indicate that ICE can immediately take over the criminal case. "That would only kick in once he is no longer authorized to be held in state custody,” Jimenez said. ICE could become involved later, either after his prison sentence is completed or upon conclusion of parole, at which point he could face removal proceedings.
Jimenez added that the immigration hold may also affect defense strategy, potentially shaping how attorneys approach any plea negotiations given the possible immigration consequences.
"You might be able to get a beneficial plea agreement, but that plea agreement might still result in severe negative immigration consequences,” Jimenez said.
Mondragon-Fajardo also has an active warrant for previously stealing a firearm from a local store, where the 15-year-old suspect is accused of stealing another weapon on Saturday, May 16. It is unclear if Mondragon-Fajardo's co-defendants are being processed through a separate juvenile justice system due to their ages.

Comments