Woman arrested for mass stabbing spree at Atlanta airport - victims include a police officer

ATLANTA, GA - On Wednesday, October 11th, three people, including a police officer were stabbed at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

Authorities with the Atlanta Police Department (APD) announced that 44-year-old Damaris Milton has been identified as the suspect. The female suspect has since been arrested

Milton reportedly arrived at the airport in a taxi and prior to exiting the vehicle, she allegedly stabbed the taxi driver. The driver, Selemon Melkamu told police that he picked up Milton from the Kensington MARTA station.

He stated that while driving her to the airport, she stabbed him in the upper chest near his shoulder while passing the international sign for the airport on Interstate 285 South. She allegedly then grabbed his phone and threw it out the window onto the highway.

Once dropped off at the airport, Milton headed towards the South Terminal. As she made her way towards the terminal, police officers and a U.S. Deputy Marshall began following her. She was then seen swiping a knife at a Delta airlines employee.

Milton refused to follow the verbal commands given by the officers, who were shouting at her to put the knife down. At that time, Officer D. McFarland tried to stop the woman with his taser.

Due to wearing several layers of pants, the taser never made contact with her skin. Lt. David Cannon then discharged his pepper spray in an attempt to stop the woman. He slipped on the pepper spray that was all over the floor and that was when Milton bent down to stab him in the leg. 

At the point, Officer Hatley tackled Milton to the ground. Both the taxi driver and police officer were transported to a nearby hospital where they were treated for their injuries. The injured Delta employee was also transported to a local hospital.

Milton was taken to Clayton County Jail. Sgt. John Chafee said, "When we did encounter her, there had already been that stabbing that occurred." He added, "It doesn't appear that there's a connection between her and them, but that's something we'll be looking into."

Milton is facing four counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. As of this writing, a motive for her attacks have yet to be determined. The morning after the incident, Lt. Cannon was released from the hospital and will continue his recovery at home. 

Several videos from people in the terminal have circulated social media. Many of the videos show the people kneeling or crouched down while the officers worked to ensure the situation was under control.

One witness, Eric Laramie, said, "Tons of commotion, people running by talking about what happened. Not good you know, not what I was hoping to see in Atlanta."

Another woman, Latoria Boyd, was in the TSA PreCheck line waiting to be screened for her flight back to Florida. She said that out of the corner of her eye she, "could see the young lady walking backwards."

She said that it wasn't until a few seconds later that she noticed an officer with a rifle, which caught her eye and then a few seconds later more officers were suddenly surrounding the woman. She said that is when she realized the woman was holding a knife.

She said, "It was a good-sized knife. It wasn't a small pocket knife."
For corrections or revisions, click here.
The opinions reflected in this article are not necessarily the opinions of LET
Sign in to comment


Powered by StructureCMS™ Comments

Get latest news delivered daily!

We will send you breaking news right to your inbox

© 2024 Law Enforcement Today, Privacy Policy